Friday, July 31, 2009

Settling in

Friday, July 31

So. Wichita Kansas, place of my birth and stomping grounds of my teens. We’re actually in Andover, east and north of central Wichita, but it is all sort of one big city.

Anyway, here we are and nothing is happening. Mom has been moved out of ICU and it is all about waiting. She had a CT scan of her lungs, but I think the doc went out to play golf, because the nurses had the results, but couldn’t tell me. Of course, eavesdropping is an honorable thing when it’s your mother’s health so I heard them say there was a pleural effusion, which means fluid in the lungs, (probably from lying in bed for a month). But the biggie is waiting for the blood culture to come back as pseudomonas is not a good thing in the blood stream so the doc doesn’t want to open her up if the infection is still there.

So here I am, with the clothes on my back, the pills that were left in the pillbox and a dwindling supply of cash. (Fortunately I decided to keep my travel kit with me but had removed the shower related supplies, so have some things.)

  • The clothes; went out at 5 am and hit the local Wal-Mart (sorry) to buy basic supplies and a clean shirt. Then yesterday I went to the local Penney’s and now have enough clothes for 4 days.
  • The cash: found a Wells Fargo in town, will be an adventure but cash is possible at last.
  • The pills: will try to convince the doc to give me a weeks worth of drugs. Will let you know how that went!!

2 comments:

  1. No drugs as of yet. I seem to get distracted and I guess it won't kill me to not be hormoned for a while.

    ReplyDelete