Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Step two - oops!

Tuesday, August 4, the afternoon

So this afternoon has been a rollercoaster ride. The doc actually was going to do the TEE and we were finally going to know something. He tried. He couldn’t get the scope down her throat, had another doc come try and he couldn’t either. So they didn’t. The next step would be a heart cath which is really surgery and can cause problems in healthy hearts sometimes, so that wasn’t what he wanted to do. So what we are doing is nothing. They won’t do the pacemaker until all traces of infection are gone, and besides her heart isn’t going slow anymore, so after all this, they are sending us back to Meade on Thursday or Friday.

My first reaction was WTF!! We spent a kazillion dollars airlifting her here for emergency surgery and now, a week later, no surgery yet or ever. What changed. And then, for whatever reason, I remember that her personality came back between Meade and waking up in Wichita. I don’t know why, but it is worth a kazillion bucks.

In the meantime, I found a Laundromat! And even though they are scarce in these parts, when you find one … wowsers! Airconditioned, carpeted, flat screen TVs (notice the multiple), children’s playground and wi-fi! Wi-fit! In a Laundromat! So now I can survive until we get back to familiar territory. I have 4 clean shirts plus one that shrunk (I guess you get what you pay for and a $7 shirt from Walmart is a $7 shirt), and one that I spilled on that didn’t come clean. Oh well. Enough to survive!

1 comment: