Monday, August 24, 2009

Meade Again, again

Saturday, August 22

Let’s talk about Meade. It is a really pretty little town, big trees, old houses with big porches, wide streets, hills and creeks running through. The high school is on a hill across the creek/valley and really new. I haven’t visited yet but I drove around it. Nice facilities. The nursing home is a big old spread (that is really new and open and lots of windows and no old people smell. Just lots of wheel chairs. The school mascot is the buffalo and everyone in town seems to have at least one purple buffalo shirt.

People are friendly and apparently reliable. The oil change people came to the hospital, picked up the car, changed the oil, and brought it back. The people in the grocery store know I’m the California lady, because someone told them so. People in the hospital ask me if I belong to that California car, and then they ask me how my mom is.

Funny story. When I called in for my appointment for the pedicure, the lady told her daughter that I wasn’t from around here because I had a funny accent. Her daughter asked where she thought I was from and she said “She was French or Venezuelan or something.” Hmmmm

However I am hearing myself become a local. I heard me say pee-yul instead of pill. Every one syllable word here seems to have two syllables.

4 comments:

  1. French or Venezuelan? Wow, you are exotic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... people with purple buffalo shirts are easily duped by Californian accents... I will remember this... for LATER. "Later" in this case meaning when I take over the world. I don't know what I would do without your insider's knowledge, Ms. D, or without this blog, which has been a wonderful read while I wait for school to start. You and your mom are in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi-eeeeee!--That's "Hi" broken into two syllables :)

    ReplyDelete